Tuesday 21 July 2015

Mud, sun and Type 1




This weekend myself and my friend (and fellow Type 1) Kelly, ran the Race For Life in memory of our friend, Tanwen. Well, I say run... it was really a mixture of jogging, walking, crawling, climbing, sliding, jumping and falling! (cont) 


All in all it was a great day and diabetes wise things seemed to go okay for me during the race. The course wasn't the typical Race For Life course, this year there were muddy obstacles in the way, including some rather questionable pink inflatable tubes which my other half pointed out had an Ann Summers look about them! The obstacles made the race even more fun but also slightly tricky for someone who carries around rather a lot of medical equipment. The biggest risk being that the equipment that keeps me out of hospital and allows me to be healthy may become clogged with mud!

During the race I didn't see anyone else running with bags, only myself and Kelly. Luckily my other half was very kind and offered to run alongside us carrying both of our bags as well as my camera to film throughout the day. As you can imagine I needed to be as prepared as I could be in the heat with Type 1 so I made sure I had everything I needed and more.

I'm not going to go in too much detail about diabetes on the day in this blog as I have a video to put up which shows how our day went, but below are a few pictures which will show you how difficult it would have been to wear an insulin pump, test my blood sugars and eat if I needed to. I could barely stand up for all the slipping and sliding so having diabetes was definitely an extra challenge. 

Keep an eye out for the video on my YouTube channel (and subscribe too!), but in the meantime I hope you enjoy our photos!

If you took part in the Race for Life this year then please comment below and let me know how you got on!


Ninjabetic x 























  

SHARE:
© It's me, Laura Marie

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig