Thursday 21 August 2014

A smile goes a long way



In comparison with my other blogs this will short and sweet (no pun intended!)… It’s just something that I wanted to note down because saying thank you to someone goes a long way… but saying it in a blog means it goes even further.

I’m the first to admit that when it comes to my care and treatment, if something goes wrong, if something isn’t quite up to scratch, I don’t tend to sit and dwell on it. I openly talk about my health care online; often to see if something is the norm, to gain different perspectives, to let the professionals learn from my experiences…

So today I thought I’d share an experience that helped me gain a little perspective, possibly even changed my mind about the decisions I have made recently to move my care from Secondary to Primary. That experience was down to the reception staff at my diabetes clinic.

Getting out of my car I knew that I would only need help from the receptionists today and I knew, from experience, that I would get a first class service from them. As expected, I was greeted with a smile and a kind welcome, no job was too much despite a queue behind me of people wanting to book appointments, my enquiry was dealt with quickly and professionally and I was thanked (why was I thanked?) more than once for coming in.

Looking back at other health care settings I often leave feeling frustrated and angry (once or twice in tears!) at the lack of help and sometimes lack people skills that I’ve experienced, feeling that I'm just getting in the way. On occasions I've been left without insulin, test strips or refused appointments during an emergency... Also, we all know that a clinical environment isn’t the most relaxing and welcoming setting. Often they are cold, quiet and sterile looking rooms that are in desperate need of a new coat of paint. Often people feel anxious about going to see a health care professional, worried about getting test results or having to discuss problems that have been affecting them… Even so, a warm welcome is all it takes to make the visit a little better for the patients. 

If impressions are made within the first 5 seconds of meeting someone, I’d definitely say that the impression I get from the Queen Alexandra Hospital “front of house” diabetes staff is right up there! This goes far beyond the reception desk, and I feel that the happy, kind and caring nature of the reception staff must rub off onto others who work there. It certainly rubs off onto me!

So credit where credit is due… well done and thank you – Keep up the great work!



SHARE:
© It's me, Laura Marie

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig