Wednesday 1 January 2014

Sleeping with one eye open


Something strange happened to me 2 nights ago. One minute I was busy writing an essay, the next I was very confused and picking myself up off the floor.

I'd started having a hypo at around 10:30pm. I remember feeling very annoyed because I'd carb counted perfectly that evening and my blood sugars had been within target all day, but hey ho... There was no point sitting around being annoyed with myself. I got up and found my beloved life saving jelly babies.

About 30 minutes (and a glass of pineapple juice) later I tested my blood sugars again - They'd dropped even further. That's all I remember really... I know that at some point I'd called my partner asking him to come over. Usually I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself during a hypo and wouldn't ask for any help, but this time I was scared. 

I don't remember feeling faint, but then again I don't remember much from the next hour. I was definitely face down on the floor and when I sat up I realised that my tongue was extremely painful and swollen. Looking in the mirror it was bleeding and seemed to have track marks along either side. I can only assume that I'd accidentally bitten it when I hit the floor, or for some reason I'd chewed on it! 

Either way I can't talk or eat properly.

About 20 minutes after my partner arrived the hypo started to subside. I'd eaten all I could and was feeling too exhausted to do anything but close my eyes and sleep. I remember shivering for what seemed like hours afterwards, waking during the night and vomiting, then finally falling asleep properly.


From looking at the readings on my blood glucose meter the lowest that night was showing at  2.3 which surprised me as I've been alert and conscious at 1.8 before. I have no idea why I passed out, and I don't often hear of it happening to others. In the 12 years I've had diabetes this is only the second time that it's happened (the 1st story is here) but both times just seemed like any other hypo.  


My confidence has been knocked once again, especially as I live on my own. Last night before going to sleep my blood sugars were 8.2 but I was scared about having a hypo. What if I don't wake up? So I deliberately made them slightly higher and set alarms to test throughout the night, which is not what I want to be doing.

Thankfully I'm seeing my consultant this week so hopefully he can shed some light on why it happened and put my mind at rest a bit. But until then, I'll be sleeping with one eye open.

Ninjabetic x


SHARE:
© It's me, Laura Marie

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig